Happy 91st Birthday to Barbara Bush, the beloved first lady who advanced the cause of literacy and warmed hearts with her friendliness and sharp wit. She married George H. W. Bush as a teen and raised six children, managing 29 moves while her diplomat husband, a veteran Navy pilot of WWII, rose through the ranks of government. As first lady to the 41st president, she founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy.
(Barbara Bush Photo by Esther1616, CC, 2010)
MORE Good News on this Day:
- A proposed Bill of Rights was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by James Madison, who is hailed as the “Father of the Constitution” (1789)
- The US Supreme Court ruled that D.C. restaurants could not refuse to serve black patrons (1953)
- New South Wales, Australia declared that homosexuality was not a crime (1984)
- New Zealand established a national nuclear-free zone with a Disarmament, and Arms Control Act (1987)
- The first World Ocean Day was celebrated, coinciding with the Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (1992)
Sincerity the Virtue of the Mind
Courage the Virtue of the Spirit
Decision the Virtue of the Will.