25 years ago on this day, Estonia reclaimed independence after being occupied by the Soviet military for over 50 years. Did you know the renown video conferencing software Skype was created by Estonian developers and is mainly developed in that country? (1991)
MORE Good News On This Day
- Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture debuted in Moscow (1882)
- Led Zeppelin singer-songwriter Robert Plant was born–and turns 67 today (1948)
- Senegal broke from the Mali federation and declared independence (1960)
- US President Lyndon Johnson signed a nearly $1 billion anti-poverty measure (1964)
- After rounds of negotiations in Norway, the Oslo Peace Accords were signed (1993)
And, on this day in 1940, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill paid tribute to the Royal Air Force, famously saying, “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few,” when pilots were fighting the Battle of Britain, the pivotal air battle with the German Luftwaffe as Britain marshaled forces against a Nazi invasion.