Happy Birthday to actor Jeff Bridges, who turns 66 today. He starred as “The Dude” Lebowski in the 1998 cult classic The Big Lebowski and earned an Oscar for his role in the 2009 film Crazy Heart, which showcased his skill as a musician and singer. He also received Academy Award nominations for his roles in The Contender, Starman, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, The Last Picture Show and True Grit… WATCH some highlights. (1949)
Also a humanitarian, Bridges co-founded the End Hunger Network aimed at ending childhood hunger, and has been a spokesperson for the No Kid Hungry campaign with the non-profit, Share Our Strength (SOS). He’s been married for 38 years to a woman who was working as a maid at the ranch where he was filming a movie.
WATCH one take on the top 10 performances of his career… (Also, visit his cool website)
MORE Good News on this Date:
- The first edition of the Los Angeles Times was published (1881)
- The Montreal Canadiens ice hockey club, the oldest surviving pro hockey franchise in the world, was founded (1909)
- The decision to join the United Nation was approved by the U.S. Senate, 65-7 (1945)
- Journalist Terry Anderson, the last American hostage in Lebanon, was released after 7 years in captivity (1991)
- In Angola, a truce was finalized between the government and UNITA rebels (1993)
- Tens of thousands of people in Hong Kong protested for democracy, calling on the Government to allow universal and equal suffrage (2005)
- An adult giant squid is caught on video for the first time by Tsunemi Kubodera near the Ogasawara Islands, 1,000 km (620 mi) south of Tokyo (2006)
And, on this date in 1956, during a Carl Perkins recording session with Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash at Sun Records in Memphis, Elvis Presley visited the studio and jammed extensively while the tapes rolled. The four men become known as the Million Dollar Quartet, and the complete tapes from this legendary session eventually were released on CD in 1987.