Doctors have inspired top international football players to join together to promote and raise awareness of simple preventative measures in the fight against Ebola.
The “11 against Ebola” campaign, featuring Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar Jr, Philipp Lahm and others, promotes 11 simple health messages touted by doctors who are tackling the outbreak in West Africa.
Under the slogan “Together, we can beat Ebola” (#wecanbeatebola), players share the 11 health tips in animated films, radio spots, and posters in a multimedia campaign launched today.
Each health message, such as “Report unusual illnesses” and “Cook meat properly”, has been chosen to improve public understanding about how the virus spreads, and to provide clear information that can be used to reduce the chances of the virus spreading in affected communities. Here are the rules for remaining Ebola-free;
The 11 Against Ebola Messages:
- Wash your hands often and disinfect anything touched by suspected Ebola sufferers
- Cook meat thoroughly before eating
- Avoid contact with wild animals and bats, which can carry the Ebola virus
- Always practice safe sex
- Know the symptoms: fever with a loss of appetite, headache, fatigue, pain, vomiting, bleeding or diarrhea
- Report unusual illnesses in your community
- Seek immediate medical help if you have a fever with additional symptoms
- Avoid skin or body contact with anyone suffering from Ebola
- Wear proper protection if you are caring for an Ebola sufferer
- Do not touch the dead or anyone who has died from a strange disease
- Seek help for safe burials from local authorities
See links to all eleven individual videos, featuring the three above, plus Gareth Bale, Jérôme Boateng, Didier Drogba, George Davies, John Obi Mikel, Gerard Piqué, Raphaël Varane, Xavi, and Pep Guardiola, at the World Bank.
(WATCH the FIFA promotional video below)
Photo courtesy of FIFA