Happy 35th Birthday to Chris Hemsworth, the Australian actor best known for playing Thor the superhero in the Marvel Avenger film series. He is currently preparing for his upcoming role in the new Men in Black film. WATCH a compilation of Chris’s funniest moments… (1983)
(Photo by marvelousRoland, CC license)
MORE Good News on this Day:
- The Eiger in the Bernese Alps was ascended for the first time by Charles Barrington accompanied by Christian Almer and Peter Bohren, who climbed the West face (1858)
- Babe Ruth became the first baseball player to hit 500 career home runs, in League Park, Cleveland (1929)
- The city of Florence was liberated from Nazi occupation by Canadian and British troops in Italy (1944)
- Chad declared its independence (1960)
- The last U.S. ground combat unit departed South Vietnam (1972)
- The IBM PC, an early personal computer, was introduced (1981)
Happy 53rdBirthday to Viola Davis, the Tony-award winning actress who rose out of abject poverty in South Carolina.
Her magnificent performance in “The Help,” playing a maid in the 1960s, earned her an Academy Award nomination. (1965) –Photo from 2010: Ella Morano, CC
Also, Happy Birthday to Joe Rogan, the stand-up comedian, television and podcasting host who turns 51 years old today.
A retired martial artist and fan of comedy since his youth in New Jersey, his podcast –The Joe Rogan Experience– has become one of the most popular shows on iTunes, with 16 million downloads a month. Rogan released his first comedy special in 2000 and has hosted several television shows, including Fear Factor… (1967)
And, on this day 107 years ago, Leo Fender, inventor of the Telecaster electric guitar, the first mass-produced electric guitar, was born. His Fender Stratocaster (1954) became one of the world’s most iconic electric guitars and the Precision Bass (1951) set the standard for electric bass guitars. (1909–1991)