Happy 75th Birthday to Chevy Chase. Born Cornelius Crane Chase, he earned three Primetime Emmys as both a performer and writer on Saturday Night Live. For SNL’s debut show, Chase created the first fake news show and played the anchor himself.
He would open the segment pretending to be on the phone talking to his lover, until realizing he was “on air,” and then greet the audience with, “Welcome to Weekend Update; I’m Chevy Chase… and you’re not.” WATCH his best moments on Caddy Shack… (1943)
A master improvisor and brilliant physical comic, his film performances included Foul Play, National Lampoon’s Vacation (playing Clark Griswold), Fletch, Caddyshack, and Three Amigos. He also had a role on TV’s Community. (Photo by Jesse Chang, CC license, 2010)
More Good News on this Date:
- The silent comedy short film “The Second Hundred Years” premiered, starring Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy together for the first time (1927)
- New York Yankees team member Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game ever in World Series history – taking the mound in game five (1956)
- Soviet author Alexander Solzhenitsyn was named winner of the Nobel Prize for literature, in part for making the world aware of the Soviet Gulag concentration camps, and later was exiled for his book The Gulag Archipelago (1970)
- John Lennon released his mega-hit Imagine (1971)
- 15 years after Pink Floyd‘s album, The Dark Side of The Moon, was released, the ground-breaking LP finished its record-breaking run after 741 weeks on Billboard’s charts—with 50 million copies sold (all lyrics by Roger Waters) as one of the most successful albums of all time. (1988)
- Day of Independence in Croatia
Happy Birthday to Matt Damon who turns 48 today. He grew up in Boston with fellow actor Ben Affleck and together they co-wrote Good Will Hunting.
They took it to Hollywood, and would only sell it if they were cast as the lead actors. They were, and it won an Oscar. The versatile leading man who starred in Saving Private Ryan, Syriana, the Jason Bourne series, and the comedic Ocean’s trilogy, is also actively involved in water and hunger charities across the globe. (1970)
Happy 32nd birthday to Bruno Mars, the vocalist on “Uptown Funk”, a 2014 song that topped the charts worldwide.
Born Peter Gene Hernandez in Hawaii, the singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist’s debut album, Doo-Wops & Hooligans, included the hits “Just the Way You Are” and “Grenade”. WATCH his 2017 Grammy rehearsal tribute to Prince‘s, Let’s Go Crazy… (1985)