Fascinating facts and amazing lore are exposed in the weekly BBC Magazine column, “10 Things we didn’t know last week.” Here are my ten favorite of the year’s top 100:
3. Adding milk to tea negates the health-giving effects of a hot brew.
17. Two cups of spearmint tea a day is thought to control excessive hair growth for women.
19. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez hosts a daily radio phone-in show
27. Drinking, drug-taking teenagers are in the decline. (GNN story on that US trend here)
31. There is mobile phone reception from the summit of Mount Everest.
42. Nearly seven out of 10 (69%) of adults are still in touch with at least one childhood friend.
46. Peanuts can be made into diamonds.
53. Renowned atheist Professor Richard Dawkins likes singing Christmas carols.
66. Gun ownership per person in Finland is the third highest in the world.
86. There is a monastery in every village in Burma.