The Sierra Club, its volunteers, supporters, and petitions, helped demand progress in conservation policies across the U.S. in 2009.
Here are some of the big successes by the numbers:
* 26 coal-fired power plants were abandoned or defeated
* Congress protected two million acres of new parks, wilderness areas, and wild rivers
* The grizzly bear earned greater protection
* Tens of thousands of actions were taken leading to key climate-change rulings in DC, like tougher auto efficiency standards.
* The Obama administration ruled that greenhouse gases threaten public health and should be regulated
* The Sierra Club held nearly 1,000 house parties for the Coal Country documentary, and called for an end to mountaintop-removal coal mining.
* The Sierra Club took 90,000 kids fishing, thanks to partnerships with the Federation of Fly Fishers and Trout Unlimited.
Watch the Sierra Club celebrate the 2009 successes in this video via YouTube…