Happy Thanksgiving Day in America! May we all express gratitude for the many blessings we’ve received this year, affirm life’s abundance, and appreciate the people who touched us throughout our lives.
MORE Good News on this Date:
- A day of national Thanksgiving was declared by President George Washington to celebrate the adoption of the U.S. Constitution (1789)
- Lewis Carroll sent a handwritten story, Alice’s Adventures Underground, to 10-year-old Alice Liddell and 3 years later, in 1865, it would be published as “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” (1862)
- The University of Notre Dame was founded (1842)
- The film Casablanca had its world premiere (1942)
- India adopted a constitution, as a republic in the British Commonwealth (1949)
- The Race Relations Act made it illegal in Britain to refuse housing, employment or services to people because of their ethnicity (1968)
- Tony Blair became the first Prime Minister of the UK to address the Republic of Ireland’s parliament (1998)
And, on this day in 1976, The Band played their final concert, dubbed The Last Waltz, with special guest performances by Van Morrison and Eric Clapton (Clapton’s band Cream played their farewell concert exactly 8 years earlier). The concert was filmed by Martin Scorsese.
Happy 76th Birthday to Tina Turner, the American rock-and-roll singer who rose out of the South where she picked cotton with her parents. Her 1971 hit, “Proud Mary”, began her Grammy winning streak as the most popular female rock artist, and one of the most popular solo concert acts of all time.