Well over 100 million people tuned in this weekend to watch the Philadelphia Eagles beat the New England Patriots in a nail biter game on Sunday. Of course, most people looked forward to the commercials, too. These nine beautifully produced ads provided plenty of inspiration and laughs during the time-outs on the athletic field.
1) One of the many Toyota spots that touched our hearts was an ode to the real-life story of Paralympic gold medalist Alpine skier Lauren Woolstencroft. Depicting her growth from a baby to adulthood, she overcame a disability and refused to quit. Set to the song “Stronger Than I’ve Ever Been”, the commercial was tied to the auto maker’s sponsorship of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, which kick off this week in South Korea.
2) A Budweiser commercial highlighted how its employees deliver clean water to victims of natural disasters. Since 1988, they have helped provide more than 79 million cans of water to cities across the U.S.
With scenes from its brewery in Cartersville, Georgia playing over the song “Stand By Me”, we see a plant manager switching ingredients and labels for its delivery of just water to communities in need.
3) The Pringles “Wow” commercial features Bill Hader combining chips to make new flavors… Very cute, and inviting everyone to absolutely try this at home.
4) Everyone in the room where I was watching the big game totally lost it when we realized during the closing seconds that this movie trailer was for “Solo: A Star Wars Story”.
5) Matt Damon has been working with the water.org charity for years to bring clean drinking water to the rest of the world. He’s teamed up with beer maker Stella Artois to offer a chalice from Stella that, when purchased, can make a difference for millions. Looking good, Matt.
6) In this fun ad, “The Only Man Whose Bleep Don’t Stink”, Dave is the guy you want at your party munching bean burritos. See why in this ad with the surprise ending.
7) A.B.F.T.T.B. “Always be Faster Than the Boys” is alpine skier Mikaela Shiffrin’s motto. The 2018 Winter Olympics kicks off on Feb. 8 and NBC aired five separate 60-second “Best of U.S.” ads highlighting different American athletes headed to the Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. This one, and another about skier Lindsey Vonn were our hands down faves:
8) Though the topic is no laughing matter, this ad had us cracking up over the senior citizens who had to get jobs because they had no retirement savings. E*Trade chose a comedy approach showing what happens when 85-year-olds go back to work —as a DJ, a lifeguard, delivery person, and most hilariously, a fireman.
9) We’re all one team. What happens when a priest, a rabbi, an imam and a monk hop in a truck to hang out together. Toyota has the answer in this sweet video about bridging cultural borders.