Happy 42nd birthday to Sean Ono Lennon, the musician and actor who was born on the same day as his famous father, John Lennon. WATCH his music video, Parachute: “If I had to die tonight, I’d rather be with you…” (1975)
(Photo by Charlene Aqualina, CC)
MORE Good News on this Day:
- Ecuador – Guayaquil’s Independence Day from Spain (1820)
- The Washington Monument officially opened to the public– at 555 feet tall, with 893 steps to the top, it was the tallest building in the world, and people flocked to it (1888)
- John Lennon, of the Beatles, was born in Liverpool, England (1940 )
- Other musicians born on this day: John Entwistle, bass player, The Who; Jamaica’s Peter Tosh (1944); and Jackson Browne, the American singer songwriter (1948)
- Uganda, independent from Britain, became a republic (1962)
- 70,000 protesters march in Leipzig to demand the legalization of opposition groups and democratic reforms in East Germany (1989)
- Democratic elections in Afghanistan were held for the first time (2004)
And on this day in 2010, Chile‘s 33 trapped miners cheered and embraced each other in the darkness as a drill punched into the underground chamber where they had been stuck for an agonizing 66 days while the world came together to engineer a rescue.
And on this day in 2006, the ORBIS Flying Eye Hospital landed for the first time in Vietnam. The DC-10 wide-body aircraft had been converted into a ophthalmic surgical center for doctors to give sight to the poor. For its first quarter century— from 1982 when ORBIS first took-off on its first sight-saving mission—more than three million people havereceived medical treatment.