45 years ago today, the Sydney Opera House opened as a multiple venue performing arts center after a design by Danish architect Jørn Utzon won a competition in 1957 to create the iconic structure in Sydney Harbor in Australia. (1973)
Photo by Bernard Spragg, NZ
MORE Good News on this Day:
- Yugoslavian cities of Belgrade and Dubrovnik were liberated in World War II (1944)
- The John F. Kennedy library was opened in Boston (1979)
- British human rights activist James Mawdsley, 27, was released from a Burma prison after serving 415 days of a 17-year sentence in solitary confinement for protesting against the slaughter of ethnic minorities and distributing pro-democracy leaflets (2000)
- Boston’s Red Sox defeated the NY Yankees in Game 7 of the American League playoff, becoming the first team in history to overcome a 0-3 deficit in the championship series (2004)
- The Libyan people completed their overthrow of Col. Muammar Gaddafi when the brutal dictator of 42 years was found fleeing his hometown of Sirte and was killed (2011)
Also Happy 60th Birthday to Viggo Mortensen, the actor best known for his portrayal of Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
He earned an Oscar nomination for Best Actor for his role in the 2016 film Captain Fantastic. His other notable films include The Road, A Perfect Murder, The Indian Runner, Crimson Tide, Hidalgo, and Portrait of a Lady.
And on this day in 1950, Tom Petty, was born in Gainesville, Florida. As an 11-year-old he met Elvis Presley, which sparked his love of rock and roll.
As a guitar playing singer-songwriter, he was one of the best-selling musical artists of all time, with over 80 million records sold worldwide. The ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Famer’ was the leader of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, but is also known as the co-founder of a 1980s supergroup with George Harrison, the Traveling Wilburys.
A biography written by his friend, Petty: The Biography, details his struggle with heroin in the 1990s. More recently, until his death in 2017 (for which there is still no autopsy results), Petty touted the benefits of practicing Transcendental Meditation.