Happy Birthday to Jane Fonda who is now a fabulously-fit 80 years old! She celebrated the occasion by throwing a party for charity, raising $1.3 million for a Georgia-based nonprofit that focuses on preventing teen pregnancy. Since she founded the Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Power & Potential, teen pregnancy has fallen 66% in 22 years. She is thrilled to have reached 80, and to also still be working — co-starring with Lily Tomlin in the popular Netflix comedy Grace and Frankie and making a movie with Robert Redford. WATCH a clip from the party… (1937)
A brilliant 2-time Oscar winning actress and daughter of acclaimed actor Henry Fonda, Jane changed the face of fitness for women in America by introducing her Jane Fonda’s Workout on home videotape and turning-on millions to exercising in their living rooms… Her book, Prime Time, written when she was 75, describes how we can strive to live in our ‘Third Act’, making the most of our senior years. (Photo via ET video)
MORE Good News on this Date:
- Mayflower Pilgrims went ashore at Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts (1620)
- The first crossword puzzle, by Arthur Wynne was published in the New York World (1913)
- The Irish Free State of Eire declared independence (1948)
- Rondane National Park was established – Norway’s first – as an important habitat for herds of wild reindeer (1962)
- The birth of the Commonwealth of Independent States was proclaimed by eleven of the 12 former Soviet republics (1991)
- Two French reporters held hostage for 4 months in Iraq were released (2004)
And, Happy Winter Solstice Day!
The Solstice (or Yule) is observed in the Northern Hemisphere and China, to celebrate the moment the sun begins to shift and add more minutes of daylight to each successive 24 hour period.