Happy Birthday to actress Sharon Stone, who turns 60 today. Years after starring in Basic Intinct and the Scorsese film, Casino, for which she earned an Oscar nomination, she suffered a brain embolism and spent time recovering with her three adopted sons. WATCH an interview from January… (1958)
MORE Good News on this Date:
- Thomas Jefferson was named minister to France replacing Benjamin Franklin (1785)
- France transferred ownership of the Louisiana Territory to the U.S. in a St. Louis ceremony (1804)
- Alexander Graham Bell made the first telephone call saying, “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you.” (1876)
- Members of the Salvation Army land in the U.S. and begin operations (1880)
- Viking Press produced the first Book-of-the-Month-Club selection, Lolly Willowes, or The Loving Huntsman (1926)
- Neil Simon’s play The Odd Couple opened on Broadway (1965)
And, on this day in 2013, nearly a half million people in Turkmenistan took shovels in hand and spent the day planting 755,000 trees.
The ongoing Green Belt project, which aims to combat the country’s creeping desertification, planted three million new trees that year
And, Happy Birthday to actor Jon Hamm who turns 47 years old today.
Best known for playing advertising executive Don Draper in Mad Men, Hamm has received 16 Emmy nominations—for that AMC drama series, as well as for the comedy 30 Rock (2006–2013), and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (2015–present)—since leaving St. Louis to pursue an acting career in 1995. He earlier taught high school drama classes. (Photo from the 2016 SAG Awards)