Food researchers pored over thousands of health claims for various food items and found only 222 that were judged to have basis in scientific fact – and from these they have concocted a menu that is being hailed as the healthiest ever.
It was created by Leatherhead Food Research, an independent British research center for food science, using the 222 health claims labeled as proven by the European Food Safety Authority. Leatherhead CEO Dr Paul Berryman challenged his team of scientific, regulatory and marketing experts to devise a meal that could incorporate every claim.
It took one week to meet the goal, and was even designed to be served as a high quality in-flight meal for airline passengers.
The appetizing menu consists of:
- Fresh and Smoked Salmon Terrine – features ALA and DHA for brain and heart function
- Mixed Leaf Side Salad with Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dressing – for cholesterol claims
- High Fibre Multigrain Bread Roll – for 17 claims around fibre, folate and arabinoxylan
- Chicken Casserole with Lentils & Vegetables – for iron absorption, vitamins and minerals
- Live Yoghurt Blancmange dessert – for cholesterol, gut health and blood glucose control
- Cranberry, Raspberry & Elderflower Sports Drink – for energy, vitamins and electrolytes
- Pure Spring Water – to offset dehydration
(READ more in the Daily Mail)
Photo by Clarita, via Morguefile