A resourceful Florida man is being hailed as a hero after his broken arm helped him to save an elderly woman from her burning home.
Earlier this week, 93-year-old Maria Cabral lit a candle in the window of her Miami Gardens home as she often does – except this time, the candle lit the walls on fire. Within minutes, the home was ablaze.
Luckily, her 27-year-old neighbor, Altavious Powell, saw the smoke coming out of the house and rushed to the rescue.
With Cabral still trapped inside the home, Powell started trying to break the window so he could get her to safety. He eventually managed to succeed after he used the cast on his broken arm to help shatter the glass.
“I said, ‘[Maria, Maria], where you at?’ And she said, ‘I’m right here,’” Powell told WSVN. “She was right here like standing on the wall, so I just grabbed her with one arm. She looked up at me, she just said, ‘Thank you.’”
Powell and Cabral were both taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center for smoke inhalation. Though Cabral is still recovering, Powell was mostly unharmed form the incident.
When Powell was told that he is being hailed as a hero, he simply said: “I’m just glad I was able to do it and I got it over with, and everybody is safe now.”
Cabral’s son, however, told WSVN: “She wouldn’t [have gotten] out of the house alive if that man didn’t come here.”
(WATCH the video below) – Photo by WSVN
Rescue Your Friends From Negativity By Sharing The Good News To Social Media