Since the United Nations first officially adopted International Women’s Day in 1975, March 8th has been a day for celebrating womanhood around the world.
In recognition of this year’s holiday, women’s rights advocate Malala Yousafzai created a Spotify playlist that exclusively features songs by female artists.
Additionally, as an added cherry on top for your day of feminine empowerment, here are 16 of our favorite inspiring quotes from strong women throughout history.
- “Feet – what do I need them for if I have wings to fly?” -Frida Kahlo
2. “When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak.” -Audre Lorde
3. “Women are like teabags: we don’t know our own strength until we are in hot water.” –Eleanor Roosevelt
4. “There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there.” -Indira Gandhi
5. “Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputations can never effect a reform.” -Susan B. Anthony
6. “Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper.” -Julia Child
7. “Wings are freedom only when they are wide open in flight. On one’s back they are a heavy weight.” -Marina Tsvetaeva
8. “Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputations can never effect a reform.” -Susan B. Anthony
9. “Dying seems less sad than having lived too little.” -Gloria Steinem
10. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” -Angelina Jolie
11. “And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” -Anaïs Nin
12. “You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.” -Shonda Rhimes
13. “Owning our story can be hard, but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it.” -Brene Brown
14. “If I stop to kick every barking dog I am not going to get where I’m going.” -Jackie Joyner-Kersee
15. “You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe.” -Leymah Gbowee
16. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” -Amelia Earhart
17. “The bad news is: your reality is up to you. The good news is: it’s totally up to you.” –Geri Weis-Corbley, GNN Founder
Be Sure And Share These Tidbits Of Womanly Wisdom With Your Friends On Social Media…